Monday, February 6, 2012
blue bag part nine
Mandy leaned against the side of her car smoking her second cigarette. She heard her name being called. It was Tina. She was still wearing her work uniform. She had worked with Tina at the truck stop cafe. Hey Girl! i thought you quit. Mandy managed a smile. I did. Guess I started again. How is everything going? Found anything yet? Tina asked her. Mandy had always gotten along well with Tina. She was a hard worker and they always worked well together. Mandy just shook her head. Well you know I think business is starting to pick up again. It sure seems that way to me. They have me running from the time I get there till I clock out. Tina told her. Why dont you come in next week and talk to Roger. You know let him know you are still interested. Just then Mandys phone beeped, letting her know she had a text message. She ignored it. I dont want to be begging for a job. Mandy told her. I didnt say anything about begging. Just let him know you are still interested. I gotta go get something for Staci for her birthday. Keep in touch. Tina said as she walked away. She finished her cigarette and got into the car slowly not really knowing where she was going. She remembered the phone. It was Sherry. At the house. need suitcase. where r u? Mandys heart jumped. Sherry was at her house. She had a key. What if she just went in and grabbed the suitcase? What a mess. Mandy texted quickly. on my way. wait. She drove home as fast as she could. When she got there Sherry was in the house. She was making a pot of coffee. Hey I was going to dig for the suitcase myself but I had no idea where you kept them. she told Mandy. What is the matter with you? You look like you have seen a ghost. Sherry told her. Mandy tried to smile. Nothing. Well I started smoking again and i was trying not to get caught. she told Sherry. I knew you couldnt quit. Sherry said, shaking her head. Does Buddy know? No. I havent said anything. Mandy told her as she fell into a bar chair. This day just kept getting worse. Sherry handed her the mug of coffee. So why do you need a suitcase? she asked her. You remember David, the guy I met at the concert last week? Well he is taking me to Vegas for a few days. He is hot. Sherry informed her. Mandy shook her head. Isnt that kind of soon? You havent known him very long. Ok mother! I will be fine. Sherry told her. Ok. I am just worried. What size suit case? I mean for a few days you will just need a small one right? Sherry thought about it. No. Medium or Large. I dont know what i want to pack but i want to be prepared for anything. Where are they? she asked Mandy. Mandy walked to hall closet and pulled out the small suitcase. Sherry shook her head. She pulled out the medium and Sherry put her hand on her chin. I dont know. Let me see the large. Mandy pulled the large one out. She thought her heart would beat out of her chest. Sherry pushed the button on the handle for the large case and began pulling it around the living room. No. You're right. I dont feel like dragging this big one around. I will take the medium. Sherry told her. Mandy put the other two back in the closet. She leaned against the door for a minute catching her breath. They sat back down at the bar and Mandy looked at some out of focus shots from Sherrys cell phone of the hot David.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment